Derek Demos the HTC Vive

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Derek Demos the HTC Vive

Postby Derek Speare » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:49 pm

For those who are new to VR, either device is a good choice, both offering benefits better than the DK2. However, for those who have had the DK2 for any period of time and who are regular users of it, they will have a mind more inclined not to overlook some of the rough edges in a new VR HMD, specifically the Vive in this case.

No matter which device, we're all good for VR to be here and money flowing into the segment. It's a critical time for VR. Unfortunately, the revenue projections for VR hardware sales has been downgraded twice due to the logistical issues hampering the fulfillment process. Oculus really stepped on their collective pecker with their delays. The perceived expectation was that new orders would roll out the doors on March 28th and they'd have had an abundant supply to meet at least much of the demand. Add that to the preorder flop on their website, and they have a couple of stumbles on their hands.

I read somewhere that it would be 2019 before Gen2 VR hardware would come on. If it is 2019 when the next version comes, I'd expect Q3 before it would be available. I'd not expect wide fov and 0 SDE until Gen4 of VR at the soonest. We may be waiting another 7 years for that. Such is life...I don't miss the screens at all even with my DK2.

Tony sold his DK2. I'd not spend the money to replace it with another. At least get the new one no matter what. Unless you can get one for 50 quid, you have to spend at least 400 for a good used one. You're more than half way there to a CV1, so a bit more means better hardware and longevity.
Derek "BoxxMann" Speare - An old "sim head"
System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com
Derek Speare

Postby Tony » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:28 pm

Derek Speare wrote:

Tony sold his DK2. I'd not spend the money to replace it with another. At least get the new one no matter what. Unless you can get one for 50 quid, you have to spend at least 400 for a good used one. You're more than half way there to a CV1, so a bit more means better hardware and longevity.

My biggest problem and my own naivety where it comes to reviews elsewhere on the Internet is I believe them :( selling my dk2 was a bit rash maybe ? But I did get an uber pc out of it. I will get the cv1 as I don't have any space for room scale as I have a 2 year old (birthday tomorrow :) ) plus the missus is preggers with number 2 sprog. So practicality gets in the way. I'm just very nervous of spending 500 hard earned pounds !

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Sharkku » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:17 pm

Dont worry, Tony, you will be fine. And congrats on your children!
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby Robert » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:42 pm

However, for those who have had the DK2 for any period of time and who are regular users of it, they will have a mind more inclined not to overlook some of the rough edges in a new VR HMD, specifically the Vive in this case.

:roll:
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Jst » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:42 am

I have been lucky enough to use both the CV1 and the Vive this week and I see where Derek is coming from regarding the quality but maybe we are expecting to much at this stage. I think you lose on one thing then gain on another. Unfortunately I only tried the Vive with its Demo that you get with the setup which was very impressive but once again very difficult to judge because I did not use it in flightsim. The CV1 was clearer but a much softer image and one thing I noticed is that wearing my glasses improved the image but in the DK2 there is little difference and the colour issue was very noticeable but I am sure that will be rectified with the software. I could read things much better depending on which I was using. I had no issue with frame rates using the CV1 I did not try the Vive on my machine it was on someone else's.

So for me I liked the CV1 it felt more comfortable than the DK2 and if they get the colours sorted then I think it will be much better.

The Vive once again only tried it on their Demo which was written for it so difficult to judge, but it felt comfortable and the room space feature is fantastic that alone is enough for you to want to get one.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS - i9-9900K 3.6GHz - Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB DDR4 3200MHz - AORUS RTX 2080Ti OC - 3 x 2TB - Samsung 970 Evo M.2 3.0 NVMe
Jst

Previous

Return to The Lounge