Good settings (for me anyway)

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Good settings (for me anyway)

Postby G-PMEM » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:03 am

Hi,

I don't know if this is of any use to anyone. But with my current settings I get 90/90 FPS with no blank/flashing frames.

I have a GTX 980 and use FSX Steam with photo scenery.

FI Settings:

resolution: 2368x1315
Monitor Display: 1 FPS
SMAA: Ultra
MSAA: 2x
FOV: 108%

NVidia Settings:

Anisotropic: 8x
FXAA: On
Anti-aliasing: Application Controlled
Max prerendered: 1
MFAA: On
Power management: Prefer maximum performance
Texture filtering-Quality: Performance
Triple buffering: Off
Vsync: Use the application settings
VR prerendered: 1

Peter
Peter
Windows 10, FSX:SE, P3D v4.1, i5 4670 3.4GHz, GTX 980, Vive, FI 1.82
G-PMEM

Re: Good settings (for me anyway)

Postby mr_griffin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:16 pm

After lurking for a couple months I've just created an account to say:

THANK YOU!

These settings completely eliminate the black flickering for me, at least for the flights I've been suffering through (though it's still awesome because it's VR!) the past couple weeks - taking off out of KVGT in a Caravan, then touring around Vegas. I don't know which setting did the trick, or if it was a combination of all of them, but I did EXACTLY what you said, and now I get no flickering.

For what it's worth, here are the settings I had to change in order to match yours:

Resolution: had to drop it 1 notch to your setting
Monitor display: Had to drop to 1 fps to match
SMAA: Had to increase to match your setting
FOV: Had to increase to match yours

Nvidea-
Anisotropic: Had to adjust to match
Max Prerender: Had to adjust to match
FXAA: Had to adjust to match
MFAA: Had to adjust from Off to On to match
Power Management: Had to adjust from Quality to Performance to match
Triple Buffering: Had to adjust to match

I had to change a lot of Nvidea settings, which I've never really dealt with before. Although the resolution isn't the greatest, it's an absolute blast to fly around my old hometown, without having a black flash every second or two. I even bumped the Scenery and Traffic settings up without encountering any black flickering, only a marginally reduced framerate. It's good enough that I'm going to sit my wife down with it tonight for the first time, which I didn't do before because of the framerate/flickering issues. Maybe Nvidea settings were fighting with the app settings or something? I don't know, that's for smarter folks to figure out, I'm just glad it's working now!

If any of you with a Vive are looking for a possible fix for your black flickering issues, it's worth spending 5 minutes changing these settings and having a go. I had to create an account just now to bring attention to this post, it's absolutely worth trying.

My System:
i5-4670 @ 3.40
16 GB Ram
GTX 970

Thanks for taking the time to post this Peter!

**EDIT** - I've bumped the resolution back up a notch and still no black flickering. I've adjusted various graphic settings in FSX and the only real ill effects I'm seeing is the framerate drops a bit, but there's no flicker. I've settled on a nice "in-between" - keeping a decent amount of graphical fidelity while also keeping framerate almost buttery smooth throughout. I cannot stress how much of a difference this is compared with flying last night. (this edit included adding the monitor display framerate reduction, and proper wordage for "Scenery" settings).
i5 4670 3.4GHz, GTX 970, Win10, FSX:SE, Vive
mr_griffin

Postby laserob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:28 pm

I can confirm these settings work for me as well with no black flashing frames. However I'm able to push resolution to full 3840x2133 and MSAA 4x when scenery/weather is medium low and still hit 90/90 on a 980ti. Just for fun I reduced the fov overdraw to the lowest 50% and wow it really makes things much sharper. It's obviously not ideal having such a small boxy fov but if that clarity could be achieved at 110% that would really be something. Really enjoying these framerates after a lot of trial and error. Thanks for all the help.
Asus Maximus Hero VIII, i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz
Win 10/64, Asus GeForce GTX 980ti STRIX
16GB DDR4-3000 Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H110i
laserob

Postby admin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:35 am

Thank you for posting these settings! Super helpful, both for me in debugging the flickering, and obviously... for all of you flying ;)
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby alvmarti » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:43 am

Dude, thanks a lot for the settings tip. I does help!!! No flickering and no stutter.
Just one question, guys. How can I pop up the mouse cursor to interact with the cockpit? Regards
Al
alvmarti

Postby G-PMEM » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:04 pm

alvmarti wrote:How can I pop up the mouse cursor to interact with the cockpit? Regards
Al

On the bindings menu you can set a key for centering the mouse. It also causes the mouse to appear (in the centre of the screen basically)
Peter
Windows 10, FSX:SE, P3D v4.1, i5 4670 3.4GHz, GTX 980, Vive, FI 1.82
G-PMEM

Postby CyberCub » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:44 pm

Thank you for posting this. I gave it a try however being on a AMD CPU I didn't notice any performance increase. I recognize my problem is well AMD. I have a 9590 CPU and have recently ordered myself an intel i7 6700k + 16gigs of DDR4 Memory and a nice Asus MB. Come next weekend I should be running a smoother vr experience :). I have a 980GTX GPU currently and will stick with it for some time.

For the record I am getting around 50-55 FPS which dips to 45/44 when I have my hands in view of leap motion.
Core I7-6700k @ 4.7ghz / 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz / 1070 GTX / HTC VIVE
CyberCub

Postby Tony » Sun May 01, 2016 5:48 am

Hi cyber yeah exactly what I did , I had an FX9370 a good chip on paper but that's all lol I went the same route you're going. You won't be disappointed :)

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Robert » Sun May 01, 2016 12:03 pm

I tried these settings and got a nicer looking display but don't seem to get a big increase in performance. But I'll take a nicer looking display! Thanks!
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby LandoT » Sun May 08, 2016 11:53 pm

This worked for me as well but everything seems quite a bit more blurry. Even with the zoom I have to lean in very close to read gauges. For those using the 737ngx I found the HUD to have all the information displayed very clear.
i7 7700k OC @ 4.8ghz
Nvidia Titan Xp OC
32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz DDR4
512gb SSD
16tb HDD
MSI Z170A M5
Win 10 x64
P3D v3.4, v4, and XP11
Vive
LandoT

Next

Return to HTC Vive