dovetail flight school support

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: dovetail flight school support

Postby GSpector » Tue May 03, 2016 2:46 pm

Bruce_C wrote:
Derek Speare wrote:I'm not holding out hope for it. I don't think those people really understand the gravity VR has. I'm staying with FSX/FI.

I couldn't agree more. I'm so surprised at the response from so many FS users and developers and can't help feel that they're missing out!

What's worse is that Martin made it seem that Flight School will be delayed just to add Track-IR support, because that's what the community wants. Yet, VR is on hold for maybe a future release, while they wait for the market to pick which VR headset is best to support.

Track-IR has nothing on VR and yet, a lot of those "Gamers" (while thinking they're "Simmers" are cheering that they just made Flight School great while slamming down anyone that brings up VR.

The new Release date is: May 24, 2016
GSpector

Postby Derek Speare » Wed May 04, 2016 8:58 am

I'm holding out hope that Dan will be able to work some magic for this new one and implement VR support like he has done with FSX/P3d. I don't have any faith in the developers doing it in the foreseeable future, and it doesn't sound to me that they really grasp the necessity and urgency of VR.
Derek "BoxxMann" Speare - An old "sim head"
System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com
Derek Speare

Postby laserob » Wed May 04, 2016 12:51 pm

Dovetail, you've got to change with the times. Just remember what happened to Blockbuster. Dan please work your magic!
Asus Maximus Hero VIII, i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz
Win 10/64, Asus GeForce GTX 980ti STRIX
16GB DDR4-3000 Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H110i
laserob

Postby Derek Speare » Sun May 08, 2016 5:04 pm

Here's a very informative video from Frooglesim showing DTGFS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJf8bRLN35M

Seems to me to be almost a clone of FSX...FlyInside for DTGFS????? ?????????
System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

Derek Speare

Postby Tony » Sun May 08, 2016 6:28 pm

Here's another link showing the sim in action = https://youtu.be/rM5s7FznTpQ

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Robert » Sun May 08, 2016 7:02 pm

Sharkku wrote:I can't help but think that people who don't see why VR would be a good idea for flight simulation are completely lacking imagination. Of course, they have never tried VR, but just the slightest imagination had me as excited as I've ever been long before I had my first go with VR.

Edit: I will never consider buying a flight simulator without VR support ever in the future.

Could not agree more on all points. I know Martin has tried VR so he knows the difference and advantage Dovetail is neglecting. And I know that VR is a small part of the larger sim market. But just as with VR in general, once people try it they see what we are talking about. I know not everyone may want it, but most flight sim people such as myself are nuts for it and VR in general. Getting in the airplanes is the ultimate goal of flight simulation. Not staring at some monitor. And for flight training in low-tech aircraft, a good stick and pedals and students can really do some quality training. As an aside, I originally didn't care much for the title "FlyInside" that Dan chose, but after using it all this time and with how good it is, I can't think of a better name for the software.

I know flight instructors comment about knowing which students spend time in flight sims because the students are basically flying on instruments and not looking out the window. That is what monitor sims do to you. I had one notice that about me some years ago and do the very typical unfold of a sectional chart across the panel and tell me to look out the windows. I have a feeling that flight instructors won't be able to tell a VR sim pilot, though. I know that in the sims I do look out the windows a lot and choose to even fly planes with lots of visibility out of the cockpit. I scan the panel to see about airspeed and altitude and such but my view now is out.

I really can't think of a better feature for a sim aimed at flight training. And it would draw VR pilots like a magnet and a lot of VR people who aren't pilots. I don't know what kind of adoption rate they would see among people with VR HMDs but I have to believe it would be very high. And monitor pilots might be more tempted to take the plunge into VR to see for themselves.

It's a missed boat for them and I don't see any need to buy the flight school or regular sim until there is VR support.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Sharkku » Sun May 08, 2016 7:20 pm

Like reading my own thoughts, Robert! I also had my instructor put a chart over the panel back when I was taking my license! :D

I must say I was pretty unimpressed by that video Tony posted above. Sure, some things look nice, but some things looked really awful. The blue on the horizon, very dark trees, a couple of trees just before the threshold as well! That's one thing that really annoyed me in the old FSX, and they still haven't fixed it? Sure, it's an "alpha build", but the release is not that far away. In any case, they will not get my money without more to show for it, and VR support in particular.
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby Tony » Sun May 08, 2016 8:48 pm

I agree Axel. To me it looks almost cartoonish? It does not look anywhere near a step up apart from the fluidity. It sure is smooth. Look for that guys other posts and he does night flying and gets excited about the night lights. To me it looks horrible and way too bright. I simply cannot fly at the moment without a rift and 2d is....well it's very "flat". At Robert and Axel. I would say if you both wanted to look at your instruments more then program in some random failures. Then your instrument scan will improve no end :) hurry up cv1 !!!! I need you bad :(

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Derek Speare » Mon May 09, 2016 8:48 am

The appearance of this new one leads me to believe that it's more of a rework of FSX than something entirely new and from the ground up. Since I'm pretty happy with FSX/P3D and all my addons work - and it has the most important feature, VR - I can't see any reason to get something that's basically FSX with no VR and NO addons. There's no real value proposition. Besides, as time progresses and hardware advances, FSX runs faster and faster since it's so old.

Developers who do not see the urgency and enormity of VR are those who will be missing the boat in the future...and the future is coming a lot faster than they think.

Derek Speare

Postby Derek Speare » Wed May 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Here's a detailed new video from Jordan King:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqNW_zu5ORI

What I see is basically a clone of FSX. Does this bode well for the possibility of a version of FlyInside? Dunno, but I hope!

Derek Speare

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge