ORBX is running a Big May sale - 38% OFF

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

ORBX is running a Big May sale - 38% OFF

Postby Robert » Wed May 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Was just checking for updates and saw this sale on the main page! 27 days left as of this post.

I run ORBX and it really enhances the flying. Each region package lists what it requires at the bottom of the page so be sure to check out requirements.

The scenery is really well done, though. Photo textures are more accurate but the ORBX stuff also gets you accurate elevations, coastlines, and such.

Anyway, a heads-up for anyone interested. :D

https://fullterrain.com/
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Re: ORBX is running a Big May sale - 38% OFF

Postby Bruce_C » Thu May 05, 2016 1:48 am

Hey Robert

Thanks for the heads up. Sadly I cant justify any more purchases right now, a new VR headset and a new (2nd hand) car means I've got to tighten my belt for a while!
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Postby Derek Speare » Fri May 06, 2016 1:05 pm

Thx, Robert - I don't know much about terrain add-ons, but I understand OrbX has some of the best. How does the use of these terrains affect framerate performance?
Derek "BoxxMann" Speare - An old "sim head"
System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com
Derek Speare

Postby Bruce_C » Fri May 06, 2016 1:56 pm

The only ORBX stuff I have is freeware but I do use other texture/scenery packages and none seem to affect FPS, though they can increase loading times, presumably because of the increase file sizes over default textures?
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Postby Sharkku » Fri May 06, 2016 7:39 pm

I'm really tempted by this... But I don't like that you can't easily uninstall ORBX. Have to think about it some more.
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby Robert » Fri May 06, 2016 11:35 pm

Axel, I was worried about that too and still don't know how to uninstall, but when the global packs install they copy off all original textures into another directory for backup. But even then, you can always just disable the Orbx stuff in the scenery enable/disable menu.

I have to think there is some impact on frames though. The animated people standing around the airports have to have an impact. And there are additional control panels for configuring lighting, etc.

But I can really tell when I'm flying over areas with and without Orbx. The Orbx areas just look a lot better than stock FSX.

If you fly around Goodwood UK for yourself and then compare with the scenery in my videos (the Davis Aircraft parasol and the dusk flight Tiger Moth would be good), you can see what the scenery differences are for yourself. I'm running with the England Orbx region in those. You may or may not see a worthy difference depending on what you are running. They also have lots of screenshots at their website that show you other areas.
Robert

Postby Sharkku » Sat May 07, 2016 2:27 am

Thanks Robert, but there is no doubt that orbx looks prettier than stock. I just think distributing a software that buries itself in the computer like orbx do, without an uninstaller is a crappy thing to do.
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby Muso-Ka » Sat May 07, 2016 4:49 am

I have ORBX Base, FTX Vector and Open LC Europe and I can not imagine a simulator without these decorations. ORBX and FreeMeshX are mandatory additions that I install.
I recommend to all. :)
I7 4930K 3,4 Ghz (4,4 Ghz), Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC 11Gb, RAM 32 Gb G Skill 2400, Win 10 64bit - Samsung SSD 850 Pro, Thrustmaster - HOTAS WARTHOG, Saitek - Combat Rudder Pedals, Switch Panel, Multi Panel, TPM System, Oculus Rift CV1+touch, Leap Motion.
Muso-Ka

Postby Robert » Sat May 07, 2016 8:03 am

I have to agree, Axel, and I sure thought long about before taking the plunge. It may just be too difficult to back it all out especially when people add other scenery/textures on top of it. I don't know their reasons but do know the backup directory is huge. (I still have mine but may be time to delete them.) About the only thing I can tell you is I really am happy with how FSX and P3D look with Orbx on board and it helps with making the world seem real in VR. I'm with Muso-Ka on them being mandatory for me too. But it would be nice to be able to back it out if puts system demands over the stutter limit.

Maybe just backing up the whole FSX directory where you can copy it back in if things go bad? Full reinstalls of FSX are a pain with all the add-ins and extra planes we accumulate but it's always an option I guess.
Robert

Return to The Lounge