Image Sharpness in the Oculus Rift-Feature Request

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Image Sharpness in the Oculus Rift-Feature Request

Postby FlyingKeys » Fri May 13, 2016 1:41 am

First of all, let me make it clear that this is NOT a complaint. I am soooo thrilled with my Oculus Rift CV1 and Flyinside. It has made Flight Sim everything I had always hoped it would be. The sense of immersion is incredible. Since receiving my OR, I have flown exclusively with Flyinside and purchased a bunch more ORBX scenery addons. The detail found in the airport packages make the flying seem so real. Today, however, while trying to troubleshoot some install issues with my newly purchased REX Soft Clouds, I was using my monitor and FSX outside of Flyinside. I suddenly noticed how incredibly sharp the imagery was in comparison. I believe it is probably an issue with the display and porting FSX from 2D to 3D and all the other amazing things the Flyinside team was able to accomplish. I can not begin to understand how they did it.
My curiosity is if there is the possibility that the images seen in the Rift will ever be as clear as those seen in 2D on the monitor? Is it a limitation of the Rift itself (although I have seen some pretty incredible imagery in programs done with the Unreal engine)?
Again, I do not want to sound like I am complaining. I will never go back to flying outside of the rift. The trade off for the sense of immersion is absolutely worth it. I just am wondering if that is something we have to look forward to in the future.
Thank you so much for all your incredible efforts and all of the pleasure they have already brought me,
Steve
Valve Index
Asus G20CB
i7 6700 4.0 Ghz
16 GB RAM
nVidia GTX1080
256 SSD (FSX)
1 TB 7200 Drive
Windows 10
FlyingKeys

Re: Image Sharpness in the Oculus Rift-Feature Request

Postby Tony » Fri May 13, 2016 3:53 am

Good question Steve :) and welcome. The technology will catch up soon because vr is still in its infancy. One day the hmd glasses will have 4 k imagery. It's coming but it will be a while. That crispness you desire is something we all look forward too.

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Lace » Sun May 15, 2016 6:50 pm

I think this will take 5-10 years. Not only that the VR glasses need to improve, also the PC hardware has to improve, too.

Yet the first customer versions of VR glasses are on market with the first generation of VR dedicated lcd displays (the DK2 still had one stock smartphone displays inside, the CV1 and the Vive both have VR optimized displays).
The next generation of glasses will take 2-3 years to develop, that is my estimation. Because of the need to support the majority of PC hardware this next gen of VR glasses will have 50-100% more pixels per eye and much improved field of view. But for 4K we need 400% more pixels per eye compared to todays consumer VR technology. So 4K will need about two more generations of VR glasses. Same estimations for graphics card hardware.

But I will not complain, I am more than happy that all this happened within my lifetime :-) I did not even expect have this kind of immersive flightsim experience on a standard PC at my home 3 years ago, and I did not expect something like VR flight simming to happen in my wildest dreams 30 years ago when I played Flight Simulator on my Commodore C-64 and I also didn´t expect this to happen 20 years ago when I played the first real usable flight simulator version on an Commodore Amiga.
Lace

Postby Sharkku » Sun May 15, 2016 8:23 pm

Don't forget foveated rendering. Foveated rendering will significantly decrease relative load on the graphics hardware with higher resolutions, allowing screens with higher pixel densities and total pixel amounts to be used even if you don't have the computing power to render the whole screen at full resolution. Foveated rendering is already here, the current screen resolutions are just not high enough to justify the extra cost and complexity that an eye-tracker entails. Increasing pixel densities and resolution of a screen is also simpler than increasing the corresponding computing power. Screens like that are also already in the works. My guess is that we will see much higher resolutions much sooner than you anticipate, Lace. Although, I'll give you that next generation HMD:s will probably take 2-4 years to develop. But I think they will have in the neighbourhood of 4K-8K screens per eye and eyetracking. Or maybe I'm just being too optimistic... :)
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby admin » Tue May 17, 2016 8:13 am

Glad you're enjoying the software :D

I'd recommend turning up the resolution under FlyInside settings, and also turning up MSAA. This will increase clarity. The limiting factor is still the screen of the Rift though, which has an angular resolution several times lower than that of your monitor.
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby FlyingKeys » Fri May 20, 2016 1:53 am

Hi. I thought I posted this but can't find it. Is there an explanation of each of the graphics parameters that are adjustable in the graphics settings of the menu. I understand resolution....I'm using the highest...but don't know the rest of them and how they effect the image/performance trade off and what they do...thanks again.
Valve Index
Asus G20CB
i7 6700 4.0 Ghz
16 GB RAM
nVidia GTX1080
256 SSD (FSX)
1 TB 7200 Drive
Windows 10
FlyingKeys

Postby rj16066 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:16 am

I love the FlyInside with the CV1 and P3D.Very immersive. But the text in the planes are pretty much unreadable even with the CV1. I am speaking to Dino's F-35, it works in FlyInside, but the panels and switch text is really unreadable in the cockpit unless you lean in real close. I even tried it with the Aerosoft F-14, same thing, not readable. I played with the graphic settings in P3D and tinkered with the Oculus Tool set, still cannot get legible and readable gauges and switches. Can you recommend or do anything to help with it.

Cheers
RJ
VRS-SB +TP-FSX+ Acc.-/VRS -P3D TP and SB/ P3D v3/ TMWH /Saitek CRP/ FSUICP4/Flyinside/LeapM

Win10 64bit /5930 i7 @ 3.5ghz/x99 UD3 / GTX980 SC 4Gig- /Corsair 1000w PS/ 32-gig corsair Vengeance
rj16066

Return to Oculus Rift CV1