Flyinside starts but doesn't load or crash

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Flyinside starts but doesn't load or crash

Postby MCWopper » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:33 am

I've got my vive earlier this week.
To make sure there weren't any issues with settings or modified files I freshly installed fsx(steam version) and Flyinside.
I also updated to the latest drivers.

But even with all that it doesn't seem to work.
If I leave steamvr off and launch FSX itself it launches in desktop mode.
If i leave steamvr off and launch the Flyinside shortcut it boots the vive and displays and launches a Flyinside window, that window however stays white on the desktop and in the vive I can only see the steamvr room.
if I turn on steamvr and launch fsx it boots in theater mode.
If i turn on steamvr and launch the Flyinside shortcut it boots the vive and displays and launches a Flyinside window, that window however stays white on the desktop and in the vive I can only see the steamvr room.

in case it was loading rather long I left it for an hour as I made dinner and still it just has the white window with no change.
So at this point I'm running out of ideas.

Image:
http://puu.sh/pgnnU/438b66c37e.png

My setup is:
CPU: I7 3770k
GPU: gtx 670 4gb 2xsli
Motherbord: asus sabertooth z77
Ram: 16gb

Edit:
Now I've also tried with and without sli enabled.
And I've tried both roomscale and seated/standing settings.
I've also added a screenshot that might help.
Last edited by MCWopper on Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MCWopper

Re: Flyinside starts but doesn't load or crash

Postby Tony » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:52 am

Hi mate and a warm welcome :) I see in your specs that you have sli. Flyinside doesn't support this at the moment but may do in the future. As a single gpu I think you'd struggle with the vive and flyinside but it's worth a try ?

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby MCWopper » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:01 am

Tony wrote:Hi mate and a warm welcome :) I see in your specs that you have sli. Flyinside doesn't support this at the moment but may do in the future. As a single gpu I think you'd struggle with the vive and flyinside but it's worth a try ?

Tony

Hope so to, I've tried some games with sli and without just in case but no luck so far. Sli only seems to make it worse when it comes to vr. I did try flyinside about half a year ago with the dk2 I borrowed worked great but I did go with the vive because of a bunch of reasons.

But with sli on or off I still have the flyinside window open displaying nothing but white and not showing fsx or flyinside inside the vive. I also just tried to see if roomscale/seated possition had any influence but still no change.
MCWopper

Postby Tony » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:09 am

We do have many vive users and I'm sure they'll be along to help soon or you can also email Dan and he responds very quickly mate ;)

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby admin » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:33 pm

This is a new bug :oops:

First, could you try disabling DisplayFusion and let me know whether that makes a difference?

Secondly, could you locate the "log.txt" file from C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\FlyInside and attach it to the forum post?

Thirdly, if none of that helps, could I debug on your computer sometime next week using TeamViewer?

Thanks!
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby MCWopper » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:04 pm

admin wrote:This is a new bug :oops:

First, could you try disabling DisplayFusion and let me know whether that makes a difference?

Secondly, could you locate the "log.txt" file from C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\FlyInside and attach it to the forum post?

Thirdly, if none of that helps, could I debug on your computer sometime next week using TeamViewer?

Thanks!
Dan

Its a bit late here now, but I decided to give it a quick shot.
DisplayFusion didn't fix it but gave me the idea to kill everything non essential.
The last thing I dissabled that finaly made it work was msi afterburner and the performance monitor.
I'm not sure if that is actually what fixed it or if it was a combination of things.
But I'm going to do some testing and post a few log files based on different configurations, might help pinpoint the exact cause and perhaps a bugfix.
I think that debugging for me wont be neccecery, I can deal with this quick hotfix for a few more weeks. I plan to update to win10 and start fresh near the end of the month.
MCWopper

Postby MCWopper » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:18 am

Hmm I stated the computer today without killing any programs and I can't seem to reproduce the bug.
It just seems to work now, no more white screen.

I did encounter a new bug though. it doesn't seem to be affected by any non essential program.

The in vive menu seems to add a big black screen to the right of the main monitor.
And in order to interact with the flight sim x launcher I can't directly select any buttons or menu's on the launcher and instead have to guess where the buttons are on the black screen, even in full desktop view.
its almost as if the black screen is tracking the inputs but instead of spawning on top of the actual display it spawns right next to it.
If i take the vive of and use the mouse and monitor there are no issues.
I do have 2 screens active at the moment both using the dvi ports on the main gpu. And the main screen is the on on the right.
Here is the log
http://puu.sh/phxY8/3bf0cc93ad.txt
MCWopper

Postby Tony » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:22 am

In order to narrow the problem down for Dan , have you tried only having one monitor plugged in ?

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby MCWopper » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:09 am

Tony wrote:In order to narrow the problem down for Dan , have you tried only having one monitor plugged in ?

Tony

Thought of it but it was 35 degrees celsius in my room when I came across that bug so I didn't want to crawl around pulling wires in that heat.
It has cooled down now, a bit at least. So i gave it a shot and Yup it works.
As soon as I plug the 2nd monitor back in again the window breaks again.
At this point I guess that Dan needs to find someone else who also has 2 monitors to see if that's really the issue and how to fix it.

For me at least its fixed and working.
I'll use the workaround for a while till I'm upgrading to win10, perhaps its a win7 bug.
For the moment I'm only going to use flyinside to demo with friends and mess around a bit.
I'm going to buy the full version when I switch to win10.
But until then I'll stick around in case Dan needs help pinpointing the cause of these 2 bugs.

So Thanks Tony and Dan, for helping me out with this one.
MCWopper

Return to HTC Vive